Wednesday 5 November 2014

Scene, Makeup and Hair Break Down




In this scene Fraulein Kost is coming into the living room from the hallway with a Japanese sailor who she has just met with, and is a client of hers. As I picture her to be a "Foshe" (A prostitute who advertises for clients in magazines as a masseuse or manicurist) I think that instead of walking out and picking him up off the street, she has simply met him either at the door or nearby, so is not in a large coat, but instead in a kimono covering a skirt and delicate lace top. Earlier in the script when we first meet Fraulein Kost she is described as "thirty-ish, possibly a whore". She doesn't have many lines and therefore doesn't say much about herself, but I don't believe she is particularly shy about her occupation as she does not deny it, but she doesn't flaunt herself around as a prostitute. She is however rather flirty as is shown later in the script (Act one scene 7, Page 37) where she bumps into Herr Schultz in the hallway and says "You're looking for a Groschen? (meaningfully) I'm looking for two Marks."

Her make up will be minimal- Her brows will be drawn on and she will be wearing lipstick and layered mascara, but I don't think she will be wearing heavy showgirl make up. Her hair will be a bob, with Marcel waves and curls. For my assessment I will create a faux bob as I am using myself as the model.

Hoffmann, H, (1930), JO JO - das Spiel der zwanziger Jahre auf den Strassen Berlins [ONLINE]. Available at: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1985-101-36A,_Berlin,_Jo_Jo-Spiel.jpg [Accessed 05 November 14].
Above is an image of a woman in 1920s-30s Berlin. I chose to look at this photo for a historical reference of the hair. The waved bob with a side parting is hair I would like to recreate for my character design.

Le Segretain, P, (2010), John Galliano- Runway Paris Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2011 [ONLINE]. Available at: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/nNpPWIMkPaU/John+Galliano+Runway+Paris+Fashion+Week+Spring/EQoB7Eoqx_P [Accessed 05 November 14].
The above image is a contemporary make up look by Pat Mcgrath, inspired by the 1920s. I like the shape and thickness of the eyebrows in this look, and the lip shape. I also like that the lips are not lined and kept in that precise shape, but are blurred slightly. I may use this shape but with a darker colour to make it look almost like a red wine stain.

Dix, O, (Unknown date), Modernes Tanzpaar [ONLINE]. Available at: http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/weilheim/landkreis/otto-goldenen-zwanziger-544447.html [Accessed 05 November 14].
I have looked at this painting by Otto Dix as I like the shape of the hair of the woman, and find that the way her body is positioned along with her facial expression gives me lots of information about the kind of person she is. I get the feeling this woman is flirty and all for glamour and glitz. The waves can be seen in the hair again, and the pinched lip look also.

No comments:

Post a Comment