Monday 13 October 2014

Cabaret- Script

After watching the 1972 film Cabaret, I decided to read the script for the theatre production of Cabaret, as I often find that reading gives me my own ideas of how characters look and act, and I like to get my own ideas before the images from films get too engrained into my head.
The storyline in the script differs slightly from the film, which I predicted it would be as when something flows in theatre it does not always work on screen. As I understand, we are to look at scenes from either the script or the screenplay for the film to develop our character, and create the look for them in that particular scene, so I thought I should get familiar to the script. The difference between the script and the screenplay will affect me slightly as the character I have chosen for my historical look is Fraulein Kost who appears much more in the script than the screenplay and film, but I will be looking at both to find as much description and inspiration as possible to develop my ideas.

There are some story lines in the script which I find more interesting than in the film, for example I find the love affair between Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz much more interesting than the romance between Fritz and Natalia, as in the film I feel that it moves very quickly without much background and explanation. In the script although there are only a few short scenes which feature Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz, their story is told in a way that shows that they have history together and this is not a sudden romance, but something that has built up over time.
In the script, Cliff is much more outspoken, while still polite, than Brian is in the film, but Sally Bowles remains a very similar character- always energetic, floating around being bubbly and flirtatious in a way which shows how she treats life as a performance and is always playing a role.

No comments:

Post a Comment